Music Banter - View Single Post - The John Zorn Shuffler
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 12:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

John Zorn - Femina, 2009

Lineup:

Jennifer Choi - violin
Sylvie Courvoisier - piano
Carol Emanuel - harp
Okkyung Lee - cello
Ikue Mori - electronics
Shayna Dunkelman - percussion
Laurie Anderson - narration

It brings me a subtle joy that John Zorn can put to better use his implements of ultra scarce musique concrete and game piece composition, somewhere where they can add depth to a track instead of hopelessly trying to exist as the added depth itself and sounding generally uncool.

With Femina, Zorn acts strictly as a producer and writer, leaving the performance to a formidable lineup of females. While overall it's still much a classical/chamber work, you can hear many tidbits of the Hermetic Organ, but here it's just way more satisfying. Allmusic puts it pretty well so I'm going to plagiarize them.

Quote:
It still consists of the juxtaposition of brief, sometimes jarringly disjunct musical ideas that has been a characteristic of much of his work, but while there are still some grindingly dissonant sections, the tone is predominantly lyrical...
It might be hard to discern but Femina is a tribute to the creativity of females. And they're on to something here. Ikue Mori is back in action with her noble electronic molestations. Trembling strings is also the name of the game, we've got Jennifer Choi and Okkyung Lee here after all,but layered upon the general indeterminacy of Zorn's compositional prowess. There's some really great passages here in the way of both the concrete and the classical, scampering off into minimal chamber grooves that can be heard on a significant amount of the Zornography's modern composition and easy listening branches.

It's not too huge and not so much a standout but nonetheless there's greatness to excavate.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote