Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #130 (permalink)
Key

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

At first, when I saw people talking about this, I thought it was just a DLC for the original Yooka Laylee. Little did I know that this was its own fully fleshed out game. And guess what? It's actually really good. It wears it's Donkey Kong Country inspiration on its sleeve. And if you aren't aware, the team behind this are some of the originals of Rare, which if you don't remember, made Donkey Kong Country. So for them to take that inspiration is not surprising. To have it be done in such a fantastic way? Well, I don't really know what I was expecting. But for them, I'm glad it's good.

Back when Yooka Laylee came out, I gave it a shot. I didn't like it as much as I had hoped but it wasn't bad. A lot of people had a lot of negative things to say about it but I didn't find it to be deserving of such negative responses. The game was fine. Wasn't groundbreaking but it didn't try to be. When I found out that the same team behind that was going to come out with another game, well yeah I got excited. It's good that this team doesn't want to be known as the one hit wonder development team. They're here to stay and they want to continue to make great games. And I hope they continue to make games of this quality if not better.

The reason I'm praising this game so much is because I am legitimately and genuinely enjoying the hell out of it. I'm dead serious when I say that the Donkey Kong Country inspiration is evident, because all the way from the gameplay to the music, it all feels like old school Rare in the best way possible. I mean, just listen to this and tell me it doesn't make you feel like you're playing an old time Rare game:

This is certainly a surprising entry as again, I didn't know that this game was coming out so quickly. I had only heard certain things thrown around here and there. So I'm impressed honestly. Glad this came out and I'm going to keep playing it because there's so much to collect and so much to see.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote