Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #24126 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Yes, but the word typically was also built into the description meaning that those that don't are still an authority.

You don't get to cherry pick words out of what I say to push a narrative, it's as disingenuous as thinking you can just make lemonade with out sugar.
Alright maybe I was misreading you... So are you saying people who start off poor and get rich/better off typically agree that this is a relatively futile goal and that the system is so rigged that you might as well not bother?

Like Ant claims to have grown up poor and made a decent living later on. Will you accept the same message from him that you would reject from someone else? Or would you reject the message nonetheless because it's the message you actually have a problem with.

I think the latter is honestly more reasonable to me. Arguments from authority are pretty lazy.

Quote:
I know what the saying means but the saying assumes that everybody has the sugar to make lemonade when all life gave you was lemons, not sugar. It's not saying it's impossible to get the sugar to make lemonade it's just saying that it's not as easy making lemonade when you don't have the resources to do so and the people that act like it is are the ones that had sugar all along.
I think you're being a bit overly literal with it.

It's like the saying play the hand you got.. it doesn't assume you have a great hand. But their are better and worse strategies for playing it.

It's about as benign a phrase as "try to look in the bright side." There's not always necessarily a bright side. But I still think giving up any sense of hope is the worst possible strategy.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote