Music Banter - View Single Post - Maneige and Lasting Weep
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Maneige and Lasting Weep

One band is a recommendation, but two bands are thread, right? If you like prog albums that depart from that go-to lineup of elec guitars, vocals and keyboards, read on:-

Maneige were a band from Canada, apparently called "Quebec's answer to Pierre Moelin's Gong" by journalists (who so like to imagine musicians competing by country, like sportsmen.) But at least that label gives some idea of the percussive prog-fusion sound of Maneige. The first side of their first album (1975) is a 21-min track, so expect a leisurely start before they really kick in:-

And over three nights in 1976, discerning or lucky Montreal concert-goers could've caught this performance by Lasting Weep , a kind of sister band to Maneige. Here's the album of those concerts, and a review from progarchives that gives it 4.5 stars - and also explains how the one band is related to the other. One thing's for sure: if you like Maneige you'll like Lasting Weep too :-

Progarchives review: https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15547

Anyone else ever come across these bands that I'm just now beginning to explore?