Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Theme Park
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #142 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”
Format: Single
Written by: Nickolas Ashford/Valerie Simpson
Performed by: Diana Ross
Genre: Soul/R&B/Motown
Taken from: Diana Ross
Year (Performer): 1970
Year (Composer): 1967
Acclaim: Became a number one hit for Ross (her first) and also earned her a Grammy nomination. Was also successful, though in a lesser way, for its original performers, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell in 1967, reaching number nineteen.

Personally I only know this version, though I read that not only was it not the original (that sung by, as noted above, Gaye and Terrell three years earlier) but that it differs radically from the song as it was written, with strings accompaniment, gospel overtones and that famous spoken-word section from Diana Ross that is not on the original version. Story goes that Berry Gordy, supremo at Motown Records, hated Ross’s version and wanted the speech removed. Well, he may have masterminded the careers of some of Detroit’s biggest stars, but it just goes to show that even an icon like him can have an off day and get it wrong once in a while.

If any single word could describe this song, to me it would be “sweeping”. With mountains mentioned in the title and lyric, I always picture a camera shot diving down a valley and up a snow-capped mountain as the music plays. It’s quite possible this happened, as the song has been used in many TV commercials, notably ones for DHL and KLM, and both of those you could imagine using the idea of transport and scaling or at least flying over mountains as part of their video.

Whatever the case, it’s a triumphant mixture of r&b and gospel, with the protagonist singing of the lover she let go, and assuring him that if he ever needs her in the future, nothing will stand in her way. Apparently Dusty Springfield wanted the song, but writers Ashford and Simpson, who went on to great things, but were just starting at the time, refused and offered it instead to Marvin Gaye. It was however with the ex-Supremes singer that the song found its greatest fame and success, and I think she’s the one we all think of when we hear this song.

The song itself is considered as one the most important Motown songs ever recorded, and the original version was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.

Things I like about this:

The spoken word section (in your face, Gordy!)
The sweeping orchestral sound
The gospel chorus
The brass near the end

Things I do not like about this:
Not much; maybe the fade-out at the end. I’d prefer it to have had a punchier ending and it kind of just fizzles out.

Rating: