Music Banter - View Single Post - Today I Learned...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #501 (permalink)
Mindfulness
Be aware of the psyop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I ran a turret lathe for a while at Chicago Roll quite a few years ago. It gets a bit mind numbing after a few months, but it's good work. I was in between jobs as a CAD guy and I'd take any job really (mechanic, welding, shop clean-up, gas station attendant, etc.) when ever I found myself in that situation, and this place happened to be right next door to where I was staying at the time, so it was really convenient. I learned fast and was cranking out pipe form rolls with the best of them. Pretty soon the owners found out about my CAD abilities and started fighting over where I should be placed, either in the drafting dept. or keep me where I was. That's when I decided to tell them I was just their until I found a job in my chosen field, which was drafting, and they weren't too happy about that so they fired me right there on the spot. About an hour after they fired me I got a job working at GMEMD designing the SD90MAC locomotive working with Unigraphics, which is a Unix based CAD system, now called Siemens NX.
Thats cool, thats weird *how the universe works with employment.

Im doing CAM (computer Aided manufacutring) at my school and they dont really even hire for it here. They hire from my school as machinists but the instructors teaching the class have told me to not expect to be CAM work, riight after graduation because its probably hired within ranks of the company. Its nice to have on my resume though

Last edited by Mindfulness; 11-13-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote