Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate Reborn
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #227 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: U.F.O.F
Artist: Big Thief
Genre: Folk Rock
Artist Reaction: None; never heard of them
Genre Reaction: Cautiously optimistic, though often folk and rock don’t mix
Familiarity: Zero
Suggested by: YorkeDaddy

Contact: Really nice and laid-back, sounds acoustic though it may not be. Beautiful vocal that just washes over you. Reminds me of herself from Lanterns on the Lake. Lovely. Scream and sudden harder guitar took me by surprise, almost like being shaken out of a lovely dream to face someone who’s holding a knife at your throat. Still good though. A bit jarring. Not sure what the point of that was.
U.F.O.F: They have me on guard now. This one starts off relaxed too, but is it likely to suddenly punch me in the face when I’m least expecting it? No. No it did not. Very nice.
Cattails: Slightly more uptempo here, kind of a country flair to it, rolling percussion, Adrianne’s voice just slightly more forceful and strong.

From: Don’t like the vocal here at first, it’s like she’s muttering intelligibly. Very off-putting. The music is nice though. Still, the first track I haven’t liked.
Open Desert: Melody reminds me of something, think it might be a Nanci Griffith song. This one is really nice, but it puts me in mind of floating peacefully down a river, not the searing desert.
Orange: Don’t particularly like this one either. Again the vocal puts me off.
Century: Seems to use part of the bass line from “Walk on the Wild Side”. Nice song.
Strange: Good kind of bopping rhythm to this, very pleasant, though it appears to go out of tune periodically. I assume that’s intentional. Very bright and breezy.
Betsy: More laid-back and relaxed, very pleasant again
Terminal Paradise: Sort of a blues-style ballad with elements of waltz in it. Vocal is slightly more strident, and I hear backing vocals, which, to my knowledge, there haven’t been up to now. Think there’s a mandolin in there somewhere? Really like this one. Might be my favourite. Again I think the basic melody is familiar.
Jenni: This is darker, with a kind of sense of growling menace about it. Probably the “heaviest” track on the album. Pretty damn good.
Magic Dealer: Whimsical little tune, they throw in some feedback near the middle of it which is kind of weird but also kind of works.

Conclusion: A nice mostly relaxing little album I could probably listen to again

So, Love or Hate? I’ll give this one a Love.