Music Banter - View Single Post - Enlighten me on the world of ska
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
smoke2joints
Groupie

1st, what i said was that the best way to get into ska music was to listen to some of the new stuff. i wasnt saying that older ska isnt ska, i just think newer music may appeal more to people who havnt heard any ska before.
2nd, i agree with you, bands like the skatalites, the toasters and hepcat are much closer to roots of ska music but catch 22 etc can still be classified as ska really. if your into classifying bands that is. to be honest i just listen to what i like to listen to and i find that this generally would be described as ska.

and none of the bands I mentioned are punk. theres bits of punk in some of them, but most people would probably say they were more ska than punk. anyway who cares, they sound good and I recommend them all. i think its the variation in the music that makes it so great

ooo yeah and trojan sets are usually really good

~40 oz to freedom is the only chance I have to feel good even though I feel bad...and I know that I'm not coming back~
smoke2joints is offline   Reply With Quote