Music Banter - View Single Post - I Never Thought I'd Get Into...
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default I Never Thought I'd Get Into...

Boring and predictable as my music taste is/was, I nevertheless am stunned that there have been genres or sub-genres I ended up enjoying, which a few years ago I would not have touched with a pole usually associated with slow boats on canals and which would have to be longer than nine feet eleven inches.

But the one that surprised me most was

Punk

Now before elphenor launches into a long, four-word diatribe like "aint no fukkin punk" or Batty says I wouldn't know punk if it came up and kicked the **** out of me (throwing half a dozen punk YouTubes into his post), and before someone posts a meme: "Listens to one punk album. Thinks he's a punk" - I agree with all of this, and I am not saying by any means that I know what punk is.

I've probably sampled about 1% of what's out there, the other 99% of which likely would not interest me. I'm not even a punk noob, barely an embryo really. That's all admitted and accepted.

However...

I have now developed an abiding and eternal love for Celtic punk (Dropkick Murphys, The Real McKenzies, Flogging Molly, Mr Irish Bastard, Pipes and Pints, Blood and Whiskey etc) and have loved albums by Frank Carter and Rise Against, quite to my amazement.

So given that a few short years ago I wouldn't even listen to a punk album, that's quite an achievement for me. Whether I'll like other punk bands is debatable, in fact I have hated, and probably will continue to hate, many of them. But I may still come across something I like. And the fact that this is an avenue open even the tiniest crack to me now is quite a revelation for me.

Yeah but enough about me. What say you? Anything you've got into recently (band, artist, genre, sub-genre) that you would have given a wide berth to up to now?