Music Banter - View Single Post - ...where we listen to a tape
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #61 (permalink)
ziggywas
Music Addict

Hail Mary Mallon is the project where Aesop shares the mic with fellow def jux member Rob Sonic. The duo is joined by DJ Big Wiz. Their first album is Are you gonna eat that? It's more "relaxed" in a way than the core Aes albums, and it's highly entertaining. The participants sound like they re having fun and i think thats a big point for this record. Sometimes it gets annoying. Well once actually, in the track "Grubstake".I guess that something similar's wrong with the skits of Bestiary that Frownland mentioned above.

the Uncluded is a project featuring Aes and folk singer Kimya Dawson. They made a lovely album together, one that stands, musically, somewhere in the middle between their respective sounds. If you somehow got intrested in hearing something by Aesop Rock but dont care about hip hop music, this is your chance.

There are 3 eps made by A.R. together with NY rapper Homeboy Sandman. All of them have good and more-than-good moments, none of them is great. I find Homeboy Sandman's flow a bit monotonous sometimes but overall he seems ok. never heard a solo Lp by him.

Aesop Rock and Tobacco are Malibu Ken. They made an album this year. It seems to have pretty favorable reviews wherever i look, me i didnt like it. I find Tobacco's production weak, even annoying many times plus i dont think Aes' rap fits over it. One exception: "Acid King"

I used a track from each of those, HMM and the uncluded tempted me but keeping this <1 hour wasnt easy....

here's a taste of the uncluded
https://uncluded.bandcamp.com/track/bats

Last edited by ziggywas; 11-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.
ziggywas is offline   Reply With Quote