Music Banter - View Single Post - Phil Anselmo
Thread: Phil Anselmo
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Bounce View Post
It would bring us to the old discussion, is it possible to separate an artist from his person/"civilian" ego/political opinions?

Well, whether Rex cares about his controversial behavior or not, maybe he's still upset and hurt because the past and Phil's reckless attitude towards Pantera?

Or maybe both reasons.
I don't know anything about Rex's persona to guess how he sees Phil's behavior.
When imbibing art it's totally possible to separate art from artist or to interact with that artist in a way that doesn't infect yourself, but when you're talking about being in a band with someone you're talking about being in a business relationship.

Maybe Rex would be totally okay with Phil sieg heil'ing and whatnot on his own time if the artistic relationship is sound, but when money and reputation is on the line it becomes a question of your brand and whether you're willing to align your brand with someone whose own brand has become associated with white nationalism. I wouldn't. It's not like I'd be joining Pantera and getting Pantera money anyway.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote