Music Banter - View Single Post - 2019 In Review - Anteater's Top 30+ Albums
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

21. Curren$y & Statik Selektah - Gran Turismo

Genre: Rap
Put On A Playlist With: Wiz Khalifa, Big K.R.I.T., Tyler the Creator

It was a real pleasure this year to hear some nu-school cats like Curren$y & Statik Selektah work together on something with as much groove and panache as this particular project. Nothing too special lyrically as far as the rap game goes, but I'm a sucker for the instrumental side of it and Statik knocks it out of the damn park. Midnight driving meditations.

20. Silver Snakes - Death And The Moon

Genre: Industrial / Alternative
Put On A Playlist With: Pretty Hate Machine (the album), Skinny Puppy, Godflesh, early Fear Factory

L.A. based producer and singer/songwriter Alex Estrada is a rising star in more ways than one. While he definitely comes across vocally as a cross between Trent Reznor and Chester Bennington, the music he conjurs up with Silver Snakes has all the classic industrial-synth-pop spades in a row and even throws in a few surprises like closer 'Gone Is Gone', which sounds like a super abrasive take on Depeche Mode's sound circa Violator but somehow makes it gel into something with real feeling. Incredibly good stuff and a talent to keep an eye on in the coming years.

19. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest

Genre: Thrash Metal
Put On A Playlist With: Early Metallica or Megadeth

I can't really add anything to a review of this album that likely hasn't been said elsewhere to death, but I do find it rather impressive that anyone can pull off an authentic recreation of Kill 'Em All era Metallica without being cringey...yet also somehow have an actual concept that hasn't been done to death by the thrash groups I listened to so much as a kid (in this case, environmental apocalypse). If anyone was ever under the illusion that KG&TLW were a one trick pony, this should settle that argument for awhile.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote