Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Mental Health Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #1416 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I'd like to explore this comment. While I agree that exploring gender is not a mental illness, why is the inherent action of suggesting someone might have a mental illness considered "rude"? Mental illness by definition is not someone's fault and it is not under their control, so how is it rude to suggest someone might be suffering from one of the many mental illnesses? Just seems to fall under the really outdated line of thinking that having a mental illness makes you a bad person that should be avoided, which I feel is being insinuated in this quote.
Because being ill in any way does not make you less worthy in any way, but an illness by definition is something undesired that requires cure or treatment. So calling someone's gender a mental illness implies that they require treatment or cure for their gender, which is rude

(Edit, because of imprecise formulation: of course mental illnesses are also part of who people are, but in that case it's a source of undesired trouble)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote