Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #6724 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
My first stop to kick off my vacation was a book sale around the corner from my house. Scored mint massive hardcover collections of the writings of Jules Verne and of Ray Bradbury - over 1700 pages of classic science fiction, for just $1 each!
^ Yep, that's a nice purchase, innerspace: an old, good condition hardcover copy is so much more satisfying to have imo, and you've got good value in terms of words per cent too - but of course it's not just the quantity of words you get that's important
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
^ That's an interesting essay about a story I really enjoyed reading. Thanks for posting it Mindfulness. I hope on your title page or somewhere you mentioned the date that CPG wrote The Yellow Wallpaper because as you say, the period is an important bit of context. And for me, the date added to my pleasure in reading: 1892 was a long time ago and yet the narrator's circumstances and state of mind are laid out so vividly that the story reaches out across the years and pulls you into its eerie mood.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Mental health is also the theme running through this memoir that I've just finished:-

It's a light, even amusing read although many of the events have a distinctly dark side - I guess that's because the author has such a laugh-in-the-face-of-adversity determination to survive his bizarre adolescence.
To judge from the internet, the book is now "a major motion picture." Anyone seen it?