Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Mental Health Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #1551 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Atheists on the internet were more left than not back in the day but we didn't really care about making any statements cause we didn't matter and nobody was looking at us for any statements (I say this as an atheist forum guy back in the early 00s). Then around the late 00s forums in general were starting to die and people were moving on to Facebook and whatnot cause after a decade of atheists bitching about theism it just wasn't interesting anymore to have the same arguments about the same thing that never went anywhere but there was this group of atheist Youtubers who'd popped up just as forums and atheist discussion was climaxing and then starting to die and they needed something else to bring in viewers and their viewers were young 20 something white guys who were used to thinking about smart guy things in terms of perfect logic that disproved anything that couldn't be proved by hard science.

And so the atheist Youtubers picked apart a few goofy feminist videos that had appeared at the time and the snowball went crazy. I even remember in the late 00s being on a dying atheist forum and some guy who'd been away for years coming back and trying to sell us on Atheism+ supporting atheism and civil rights as one thing cause there was this supposed trend of reactionary atheism that was against feminism and whatnot and we were just kind of "What are you talking about, atheists love feminism and black people, but atheism also has nothing to do with civil rights cause duh" and now I'm just like, whoa. He was right.
the atheism+ **** is actually part of what set thunderfoot and them off iirc. Actually a lot of it had to do with that broad who made the complaint about some guy hitting on her in an elevator at an atheist convention.. Then Dawkins weighed in etc

Before that **** thunder foot was making dumb videos mocking creationists. Dunno about Sargon as I never really saw his videos.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote