Music Banter - View Single Post - Arctic Monkeys
Thread: Arctic Monkeys
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #198 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Nah...I think they are about equal.

I like Kraftwerk, Tangerine and Can...Some Neu!...Though i find myself liking more post rock bands like Sigur Ros and GY!BE.
Neu! and Can in particular were much more interesting, original, and exciting than most of these post-rock bands. Bands like Godspeed and Mogwai are basically just copying what Kraut-rockers were doing more than thirty years ago except without the driving rhythm that made Kraftwerk, Neu!, and Can so great. Bands like Mogwai shift the emphasis to electric guitar, which works for a while, but lacks the hypnotic drive that allowed you to appreciate a ten minute Neu! song. Godspeed throws in as many different sounds they can and then just abuse the loud/soft dynamic as much as they can, which makes for some great atmospheric music, but does start to get old after a while. Then bands like Explosions add a raw edge that hints more at metal, but lack a great deal of the experimentation that made Kraut rock so wonderful and different. Neu! could keep you hooked on a ten minute song with a simple drumbeat and bassline on the sole basis of its dreamy, hypnotic nature. And when they started getting bored with that, they might start free noise experimentations and all kinds of weird sound mixing to create bizarre and wildly new (at the time) soundscapes. Can was one of the most experimental bands of all time, creating songs that were both extremely listenable and catchy as well as unlike anything you'd ever heard before. Kraftwerk gets a lot of mention, but they basically just copied Neu! and went synth-crazy.

In any case, that's just my rambling explanation of why I prefer Kraut rock.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote