Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #728 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
Doesn't surprise me one bit.
^ It has just sunk in what a good comment that was, Plankton!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Quote:
New Zealand glaciers turn brown and 'could melt faster because of Australia's bushfires'

By Gianluca Mezzofiore.

Updated 1433 GMT (2233 HKT) January 2, 2020

A photo taken on January 1 shows the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers in New Zealand, which have turned brown as a result of Australian bushfire smoke and ash.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/02/a...cli/index.html

^ This nudges our albedo in the wrong direction, and is an example of how problems spread out beyond the first obvious danger. A similar problem arose with the Siberian wildfires back in August:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
And the worst of the worst are the catastrophes that guarrantee that the rate of catastrophes is going to get worse. See bits in bold:-

Quote:
This soot can be harmful to humans and animals, entering the lungs and bloodstream. It also plays a role in global warming. Nasa scientists say the soot absorbs sunlight and warms the atmosphere. If it falls on ice or snow, it reduces reflectivity and can trap more heat, speeding up the melting process.

The fires are releasing copious volumes of previously stored carbon dioxide and methane - carbon stocks that have in some cases been held in the ground for thousands of years. The fires .... emitted an estimated 100 megatons of CO2 between 1 June and 21 July, almost the equivalent of the carbon output of Belgium in 2017, according to Cams.