Music Banter - View Single Post - first indie band? what was yours?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

ok ... I am going to guess that the OP meant Indie Rock and Indie Pop, not every kind of musical style ever recorded on an independent record label. I really don't keep tabs on who records on an independent label. Probably why I didn't bother with this thread in the first place. (I did have to do some research to see who's indie so I can pretend to know what I am talking about before I replied to you Lisn.) I'll go with Tiger Trap (not so much my very first) because I'm a fan of the lead singer and songwriter Rose Melberg. Another favorite of mine is Velocity Girl, so as far I know they're only described as Indie Rock. However Tiger Trap is a little tricky, I've seem them as Indie Pop but I've also seen them pegged as Lo-Fi, Punk, Twee/Twee Pop and Cuddle-core etc etc.

Wire doesn't fall into the indie camp cause first off they are already known as a Post-Punk band, plus they didn't record on what would be considered a independent label. However I can't help but think that Outdoor Miner is the archetype of Indie Rock whenever I hear it. You could sum up the 90s with that song and it was recorded in 78! - released in 79 though.

I'm not saying R.E.M. is strictly an indie band. At that time they were considered College Rock to some Post Punk to others. When they started out on I.R.S. they recorded some pretty amazing stuff imo. I.R.S. Records was started by Miles Copeland and a couple of other guys. Miles is brother of Stewart Copeland, who was the drummer for the Police. I.R.S. had a pretty good roster. They sign quite a few popular bands of the 80s - imo they had a decent track record. There is this connection between the label and bands they signed. It'a almost like brand recognition. And that is the point of Indie Rock in the 90s, that the fan had a vested interest in independent record labels because of the types of bands they recorded.

Harvest Records/Capitol Music Group
Wire "Outdoor Miner" (1978)

I.R.S. Records/U.M.G.
R.E.M. - Wolves, Lower (1982)

Slumberland Records
Velocity Girl - My Forgotten Favorite (1993)

K Records
Tiger Trap- Supreme Nothing (1993)

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-25-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote