Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #6762 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
... my grandmother was always "meema" cause she's my grandmother and she gets called whatever I called her as a child...
^ Is that a thing that people do in the US? I always thought it was a unique name invented by Sheldon Cooper.

I called my mom "Mum" until my adult sisters made the switch to "Mother" at which point I became self-conscious about what I was saying, and pretty much avoided calling her anything. (so not something I am particularly proud of.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
I’ve been reading texts on Brian Eno for years, and thought it might be a good idea to start tracking all of the books in my library. I compiled data from biographical websites, from my Goodreads account, and my physical and digital libraries and secured copies of books from around the world to build as complete a library as I was able.
^ This is so completely the opposite of how I select books!

For decades, I too used to choose books on a pretty logical, follow-up-on-that-topic, basis, but now this is my usual selection technique: go to the one place in my city that has second-hand English-language books and buy something that I consider to be remotely readable by my standards. This method turns up a real scattershot of random material, and although I haven't come across The Last of The Mohicans, I entirely approve, and a while ago found and finished Little Women, which is kind of similar league I guess - though weed gets no mention.

And, yes, Mindfulness, Eno is a legend, mainly for being a pioneer of ambient music. He reached that exhaulted status after starting out with Roxy Music and then making a couple of nice poppy/rock solo albums. Here's a tongue-in-cheek track from before his serious commitment to ambient:-

^ "I never got a letter back"