Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater--Greatest Metal Band of this Era
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #96 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Won't or can't? This is what were talking about, you never back it up.
Never back anything up? Oh dear, do you even read my posts? I'll just pick one example:

Quote:
^ By the way folks, this guy actualy included Kurt Cobain and Robert Smith on a poll of the most technically skilled guitarists of all time...Im not joking, though i wish i was.
“lol!!! Wow, you think you're like the smartest man in the world when it comes to music rofl. And for a 19 year old, that's pretty hilarious if I do say so myself.
It's also funny how you think I don't know what you're trying to say, hahaha. Oh wow, so let me get this straight; you're saying that composition is a part of technical skill! omggg how the hell did I guess that? I must be a genius (which I am). You're just too dumb to realise the basis of what I've been arguing with you, and I'm obviously on the winning side since I'm the one that started the poll! lol times 5!

So okay, I'll explain my side for you, being the law grad that I am:

1) The first and most important point is: I made the poll so I'm the one that consequently decides what the theme is about,

2) I was initially going to make it in terms of technical skill alone but I realised that the misinformed wouldn't actually know who (or how) to vote, which is silly in itself, so there isn't really a need for such poll, and indeed one of this magnitude,

3) So what I decided to do was make it in terms of technical/[SLASH]composition, with the slash meaning OR, or a combination of the two. So this means that someone could vote whom they thought was the best technical guitarist (and decide that by technical skill alone or composition, which is what you've pointed out so obviously to me) OR, they could choose to vote for a guitarist that they just happen to appreciate for whatever reason, and that reason can be dumbed down to “composition,”

4) Now, there of course is a major flaw with this poll and indeed of all polls. The flaw being that the maker of the poll isn't assured that the people voting will share similar (or a relatively high) knowledge about the theme of the poll. Which means, in terms of this example, that obviously not everyone is going to have heard every single CD and demonstration video of every guitarist on there. And even if this was the case, who's to say if they really know what's technically skilled or not? Which would mean that you would have to be perhaps a professional guitarist to vote properly if you were going to vote purely on skill and come to an appropriate conclusion. But of course, I posted this poll on a site which features people of a wide range of ages and knowledge, which means that if someone liked a guitarist just because they play for their favourite band (or for whatever reason), that's fine. And it's something that we can't measure, and if we could there wouldn't be a point for a poll,

5) The main conjecture is that you were saying composition is a skill that can be measured objectively and thus be contributed to skill. I actually agree with this (and had many long arguments about it), but this is not what I was arguing against here. I was arguing about the theme of the poll, and like I said, I made the damn poll, so of course I'm right. I created this so called argument because of your extreme arrogance which seems to exponentially climb. I merely wanted to point out that thinking Cobain was skilled for whatever reason is fine, and that it seems like you think you get to decide who likes what and like you know exactly who the BEST EVER MUISICANS WITH A 100% CERTAINTY are. I gave up caring about that whole crap long ago when I realised music is a lot more about who's the best, it all comes down to recognition, which all comes down to feeling...And I learnt that when I was about seven...”

And PS: A mod added in Robert Smith, not me.

Pwned!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote