Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 05:31 AM   #21928 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I'd say that, like many countries, America, despite its faults, has a lot to be proud of. Not sure that Anteater has done an accurate job though:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Well, I love movies, the Internet, AOR and jazz, so God Bless America.
movies - came out of France with the Lumiére Bros and Georges Méliés
Internet - usually credited to this guy, though as befits the invention itself, many countries contributed to the prelim developments that made it possible:-

Quote:
Research at CERN in Switzerland by British computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1989-90 resulted in the World Wide Web, linking hypertext documents into an information system, accessible from any node on the network
but jazz, yes, blues, yes, rock'n'roll, yes.

Outside of music, one of America's virtues is the ability to throw money and resources at something. To me they deserve credit for helping out the Brits in WWII and then rebuilding Europe with The Marshall Plan. Plus the whole man-on-the-moon thing, which was a spectacular milestone, even if it didn't produce much obvious benefit.