Music Banter - View Single Post - Can rock get a new style? Or will we retread forever?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

There were a bunch of mathy "not sure if we're a jazz band or a rock band" groups coming out mid-2010s that I was hoping would be the next big wave of rock but it seems like that kinda fizzled out with the exception of black MIDI.

Will there be another leg of rock music? By nature the innovation that would spark such a thing is unpredictable or else it wouldn't be innovative, but I'm sure there will be at least something. For the evolution that OH put forward I wouldn't be surprised if guitar music took the trend of modernism where postmodernism deconstructed everything and what people are calling post postmodernism is taking those deconstructed pieces from SY and others to build something entirely new.

In the current climate I think that a new wave would work backwards from rap or electronic music in some new hybrid. I think that electronics-heavy rock is more unexplored than people realize (though some bands like Low are pushing that envelope), maybe that could extend to the guitar itself as well. From Manuel Göttsching to playing 100 Gecs on the guitar or some****. Whatever's new and happening, you ain't gonna find it on the radio until the boomers and probably the gen x'ers that safe rock is attempting to appeal to are dead or deaf though. Keep an eye on the RYM charts and labels you like for that good good in the meantime.

Side note: the "great artists steal" trope is tripe that derivative artists use to justify their existence.

EDIT: Moving this to the general music section.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote