Music Banter - View Single Post - Can rock get a new style? Or will we retread forever?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Can you give examples of that happening with what Coltrane gave us?

It doesn’t really prove anything if you can’t because jazz has always had a much more clear cut and linear trajectory.

If we use the term modern to mean Schoenberg / Cage and so on and post-modern to mean the next wave(s) like minimalists and ambient composers - I just don’t see where “rock” can go and still be rock.
There's a lot of guitarwork in bands like Krallice and Deathspell Omega that put Coltrane's fractal approach in a metal context. I don't know music theory well enough to say for certain but I think that Cardiacs also uses Coltrane changes in at least a few of their songs. Those are both very tangential though. Same goes for his influence on European free jazz since that field is more like the logical extreme of Ayler.

For a rock parallel of that, see something like Death Grips, Jpegmafia, and Ho99o9 making hip-hop with elements of and philosophies from punk, rock, and metal. That's the kind of thing I was thinking of when I said that a rock revival might work backwards from other genres. These artists could be the foundational stages of that, or it could come from some other reincarnation of rock influences evolving into a new rock subgenre. The next stage of life for rock might not be guitar music.

Back to Coltrane, it's hard to pin down where foundational influences like him start and end sometimes. I hear it in Mary Halvorson's playing, but it's just as much putting Sharrock through Braxton's lens with a good dose of Ornette and new ideas.

Brutal prog is probably the best answer despite toeing the line of not being jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
RZA said that about sampling.
There might be more to what he said about it but I think he's underselling the artistry of sampling.

I think we all agree that rock has become played out and needs to adapt to survive.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote