Music Banter - View Single Post - Before life, Life, After life
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.
This hasn't anything to do with music. I just thought I would pick everyone's brain. This isn't intended to start any fights. Debates, sure, but not anything mean spirited.

I am not Buddhist, contrary to what everyone may think. LOL. I buy into a lot of their belief system, though.

Buddhism is the belief that your body is just a vehicle to carry your soul. A person's soul is eternal, and moves from body to body for all eternity, and how you treat your soul and live your life will affect all others who inherit your soul.

They spend their entire lives preparing to die correctly, so the soul will be pure and clean for the next person.

This isn't the entire concept of Buddhism, just one part that I wanted to cover for the purpose of this post.

Now, my question is this: What are your thoughts on this subject? Do you believe their is an afterlife, or reincarnation, or past lives, etc? Or do you believe when you die, that's it?

I've pondered this for quite some time, even before I read this book. I know a great majority of the people in here are cerebral in nature, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on the subject.

I know there has been at least one thread on reincarnation, but that isn't what this is about, exactly.

The Buddha actually did not believe in a soul. The reason they have added it in - in summation - is because it is more comforting to the populace if there is a belief that one will live on forever. Read some of Robert Thurman's work for a better understanding of this.

Interesting fact: Robert Thurman, father of Uma, is the first Westerner to be deemed an actual Buddhist monk.