Music Banter - View Single Post - John Cage
Thread: John Cage
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #49 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TockTockTock View Post
He is possibly my favorite musician. I don't think I've ever admired a musician as much as I have with him, and while his philosophy on musical composition is a bit different than my own, I find his to be really interesting and unique. It obvious he draws a lot of this from Zen Buddhism which is great in my book.

I have a few random pieces by him not in any particular album, but I do have Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano (1946-48) which was released in 1965. If you want to get into any of his music, then I would strongly suggest you download this album. While it may not be his best work, it's definitely fun to listen to.

He was a modern day Renaissance Man. He did a little bit of everything.
Great post

The Ten Thousand Things

Just listened to this one. Deals with Schoenberg, eastern philosophical concepts, the absurdities of time and space (nothing being filled with nothingness and going nowhere) - spokenword that works really well - it’s wild to hear him talk about Schoenberg in a musical setting. All of this is stuff you can really meditate on.

Quote:
“The Ten Thousand Things” is a common phrase found in Taoist and Buddhist writings to connote the material diversity of the universe. Lao Tzu, for example, writes in the Tao Te Ching:

Tao produced the One.
The One produced the two.
The two produced the three.
And the three produced the ten thousand things
Like a virus!

John Cage: The ten thousand things -- James Pritchett

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote