Music Banter - View Single Post - Desert Island Discs
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Booman
Music Addict

1) "Quadrophenia" -The Who.

My favorite album by my favorite band and it includes my favorite song. John Entwhistle's bass on this album is just bananas.

2) "Truth"- The Jeff Beck Group.

Four of my favorite musicians in one group. The original Jeff Beck Group basically invented the sound that Led Zeppelin would make famous six month later.

3)"An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down"-Rod Stewart

His debut solo album. I prefer Stewart when he is doing blues and folk rather than his other stuff. His version "Street Fighting Man" is one of my favorite songs. This album includes one of my favorite drummers, Mick Waller.

4)"Soft Machine 1"-The Soft Machine.

A quirky psychedelic masterpiece. Some really heavy bass lines and Mike Ratledge gets some great tones out of his Lowry organ.

5)"The Crazy World of Arthur Brown"-The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Another psychedelic classic. Arthur Brown has an incredible vocal range and the album is anchored by heavy bass and Hammond organ

6)"Warhorse"-Warhorse

A funkier Deep Purple founded by former Purple bassist Nick Simper. Same blueprint as Deep Purple but Mac Poole's drumming is jazzier than Ian Paice and Ashley Holt is a blusier Ian Gillian.

7)"Hooker and Heat"-John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat.

Canned Heat back the Blues legend as he plays some of his classics. including a 10 minute sequal to Boogie Chillen. Some great harmonica on this album.

8)"Piper at the Gates of Dawn"-Pink Floyd

Syd Barrett. Nuff said.

9)"Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake"-Small Faces

Concept album which is blusey, soulful, psychedelic and funny all at the same time. Narrated by Stanley Unwin. One of the earliest additions to my collection.

10)"In the Court of the Crimson King"-King Crimson

I love almost every song. Loads of mellotron and great lyrics. Michael Giles' drumming is incredible.

As far as the book I would probably pick Five Dialogues by Plato.

The luxury item? My drum kit.
The Booman is offline   Reply With Quote