Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #69246 (permalink)
rostasi

I’ve been watching this barred owl in her owl box for the past 5 weeks or so. I’ve seen all kinds of food come thru, both day and night, and various kinds of weather. One night this week was especially harrowing as she was being pelted by hail during a storm that came thru. I trade off between the interior and exterior views to watch both her and her mate’s comings and goings.

Anyway, at about 1AM (Central), she left her box and revealed that one of the eggs started to pop its top - little bits of shell were rising up as the newborn tried getting out. You’ll see this beginning after about a minute into the following video. Also, if you turn up your volume, you’ll hear the owlet inside the egg make some high-pitched chirps and click sounds.

Owl egg at the top

The next video begins with the owl leaving the nest again and you'll see the newborn owlet struggling - still with bits of shell attached. This was at about 3:30 Central Time this morning. Remember: turn up the volume. You’ll hear, not only the owlet making sounds, but the owls in the distance. Maybe they’re celebrating?

Owlet
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote