Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater--Greatest Metal Band of this Era
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #197 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
Whats the point?... I'd have a pretty hard time trying to pick one out of nearly 500 posts of the same ol' bullsh*t.
The point is that there is none. If there were nearly 500, wouldn't that mean it would be extremely easy for you to pick one? lol

Quote:
Yet you having better grammar and apparantly having a music degree makes you smarter than me.

Hypoooooooooooooooooooooooocriiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.
I said it made them relatively knowledgable. Don't you understand what that means? It doesn't contradict with the fact that having a musical degree most likely means you're more knowledgable in music than one without.

Quote:
I play Guitar/Banjo/Keyboard/Harmonica... You dont see me bragging.
That's because there's nothing to brag about. You probably wish you were more competent in music theory, which isn't to say I brag about it, I'm just assuming your character by your arrogant traits.

Quote:
Which is why i would say Tates was somewhere between 3 and 3.5, regardless i know for a fact his is higher than LaBries, like Hendrix mentioned earlier, he has problems reaching lower notes.
Actually Hendrix never dismissed my claims.

Quote:
Point is, you dont even go into detail to explain why he's the best, other than his music degree, and you say it like hes the only musician out there with a highly trained musical background.
I already explained this. And when did you explain why Emerson is the best? It's extremely hard to do and like I said, I would in a different context.

Quote:
If you cant explain to me how John Petrucci is better than Shawn Lane or Lenny Breau, then you have little reason to remain on this forum if you cant have a reasonable debate, which is what forums are suposed to be for.
Everything's about proofs with you isn't it? What you don't get is that I don't care about trying to explain something to you that you're just going to tell me i'm wrong to anyway.

Quote:
Funny, i do too, but you always laugh them off maybe without even having heard the songs i mention, which is ok when you do it, when i do it, its bad.
Putting words in my mouth again I see. This doesn't make sense, I never said you didn't list examples (which seems to be your point). Me laughing them off means I find them to be bad examples. In other words, our opinions differ, get over it.

Quote:
I swore you did, anyway you said i couldnt name 5 better, and i named 30.
So are you saying it's a fact that those 30 are better?

Quote:
Yeah, you're very well liked on this forum alright... Cheeseman, Murder Junkie, Bungalowbill, Crowquill, Urban, DontRunMeOver, Right-Track, Jibber, Mosesandtherubberducky, PerfectionThruSilence and LesPaul43 especially.
Last time I checked there were 10,091 members of this forum, and I'm pretty sure those examples don't make up that number. And I don't think cheeseman or DontRunMe over hate me that much. And I don't even know Jibber, so I'm guessing that's wrong too.

Quote:
I have seen you bring up your musical background while arguing with others
No you haven't because it never happened; I never used my background as a point for my arguments.

Quote:
Any non prog metal prog bands?... Not including ones with members of Dream Theater.
Yeppy. Only small ones though.

Quote:
You made the very first blow when you first came to this forum and mocked my musical taste and credibility, all because i dont consider DT mighty prog gods like you do.
Simply not true. It all started with me saying TMV aren't prog like you said previously, don't change your story. The DT thing came way after, and you're the one that obviously started that one; when I listed them as my fav band you took a shot at me.

Quote:
You kept making remarks about how i knew nothing about prog, and you didnt even f*cking know me, you still dont know me, but you came out of nowhere and criticized me, and i didnt even freakin' remember you from being on this forum, why?... Because you just joined, and you were already insulting people, primarly me.
I might have said that I don't consider TMV to be prog and tried explaining why, but I didn't make any insulting remarks except possibly for ones as a laugh. And don't reverse/steal my point about you not knowing me please.

Quote:
You brag about being a critic all the damn time.
I actually haven't. Just because I have pointed it out when you insult my intelligence it doesn't mean I'm bragging.

Quote:
btw, i find it odd that you once said to me that you had written nearly a hundred reviews, yet now you say its somewhere around the teens... Funny.
Hundreds? Yeah I guess I have written that many unprofessional reviews for critics, friends and on forums, etc. But not that many where I was paid for them though.

Quote:
Point is, i was someone who actually enjoyed listening to prog, real prog, so yes, i do think i would know more about it than you do, since you dont even like prog rock in general... Because you know some prog metal bands dosent mean you're instantly a prog expert, especially when you are pretty closed minded to the genre as a whole.
I think I've said it before that I've studied almost every single style of rock and have listened to them all thoroughly. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I know nothing about it or haven't listened to it.
If I was close-minded, why do I have so many prog albums? I have all PF's, all Yes', all KC's, Genesis, etc, etc.

Quote:
I proved you wrong about LaBries vocal skills (or lack there of), i even got a friend of mine to register here just to help make it official, and his case was pretty solid, i'm right, you're wrong, the end.
So you came up with one example and I wasn't wrong. You PROVED me wrong? How? by listing numbers that you could have just made up? Nicely done with the proof there. I was actually closer to a proof when I said I would scan the pages which shows LaBrie's highest and lowest notes (I would have done it by now but my scanner isn't working 'cause my bro broke it I think). When you see them you'll probably say "it's wrong." Moreover, how can you possibly know that LaBrie doesn't have a four octave range? Even if he didn't record it, it doesn't mean anything...obvious but valid point that you've missed.

Quote:
Its Kurt, NOT Curt
It's 'an' obnoxious, not 'a.' And that wasn't my typo anyway, it was a tiny little typo with his last name.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote