Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater--Greatest Metal Band of this Era
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #199 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
A lot of great musicians have trained themselves without the need for deep knowledge in theory or sheet music, Flea cant read sheet music, nor can Steve Howe... And they are two of the most well respected musicians in their field.
A point I never argued. But I'm of the belief that better musicans do know their theory.

Quote:
Have you heard Tarkus, Karn Evil 9 or Take A Pebble?... Or anything off Pictures At A Exibition?... Im willing to send you some tracks, i'll also throw in some Wakeman just to be a good sport.
I've heard them but don't own PaaE. Those examples don't beat Rudess' solos in "Blind Faith" or "Acid Rain." Karn Evil 9 isn't all that impressive, not a good example there.

Quote:
What you dont understand is that skill can be accurately measured, and i talk to guitarists all the time, including music students, most of them could name 30 better guitarists, and i named the ones that get the most praise from musicians who consider them better than Petrucci.

I just know they are more talented players, more versatle, better at improv and much more creativity to compliment their skill and craft.
I don't get this, you made a point about talking to musicians...I'm a musician. I don't need to talk to them (but I do anyway).

Quote:
Names.
Unsigned ones like Dillon's Route, Midnight Swim, Relliger, etc. I don't despise prog, and I used to love it but I moved on and find artists like Genesis and Jethro Tull to be lame.

Quote:
How do you know?
I've seen DVD's (backstage) displaying it as well.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote