Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #5846 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Can you say a bit more about this? I'm not sure what you mean.
Necessities like food, housing, healthcare, and power can and does outpace what would benefit consumers. I don't trust the market to correct itself when it comes to things with a built-in clientele.

Quote:
Are you saying that the manufacturing emissions net-net might out pace oil? If so, I'd be shocked to see it but I'll dig in.
It wouldn't outpace it, but revising our power infrastructure to use solar instead of coal, gas, etc. would still generate problematic amounts of emissions.

Quote:
Nuclear has two or three major issues for the US (given that we're the 2nd biggest emitter).

1. Because we stopped making plants after 3-mile island, the US currently lacks the experience and knowledge to build them well. Easily fixed but a hurdle none-the-less

2. The upfront overhead capx costs are insane. You'd need to make a crazy push to get that passed, funded, and to provide MW at a cost comparable to renewables. Maybe this would work in deregulated markets, but admittedly I'm not an expert on this.
Agreed. It'd be difficult, but it'd be worth it.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote