Music Banter - View Single Post - (On hiatus!) Rec Me Instrumental Anything Chill
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #133 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
You know jazz dudes often take heat for branching into classical

Parker with Strings, which is gorgeously orchestrated got lots of heat

It often strikes me as racial stay in your lane bs
I always found the distinction unnecessary, but damn that makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Another odd thing is from the Baroque period through to the Romantic period it was commonplace to composers/performers to improvise but now there’s this uptight rigid approach to classical music that’s not even traditionally rooted

Real jazz interpretations of classical works are way to few and far between

And performers should be taking far more more liberties more often especially with romantic era composers. A contemporary pianist has no reason not to break into atonal interpretations when playing Chopin and Liszt for example. I mean to the modern ear the endless arpeggios do get tedious there’s no reason not to pepper the performances with some dissonance and atonality. The entire myth that you can’t rewrite this stuff is bull****. Of course you can.
Church. Big ass steeple. I'd kill to see a Mozart performance with a badass pianist taking a lot of liberties with it. I bet Mozart would too.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote