Music Banter - View Single Post - Official Mental Health Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #2181 (permalink)
goldendoodle
god's favorite clown

I definitely felt worse in my 20s, (one's 20s definitely feel more volatile, in general) but then my brother died and set me back 5 years mental health-wise. (Am 31 now) I've also heard of lots of people who were perfectly fine until their early 30s and suddenly had a catastrophic manic/psychotic episode, though, so.

Also, oatmeal raisin cookies are great >:v especially if you soak them (um, the raisins that is) in a dessert liqueur for a bit before adding them to the cookie dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieMarie View Post
And Chio, I agree with Lisna that any kind of support group is probably better than nothing. The people there will understand your issues better than people not struggling with mental health, I think
I guess. I don't even know what groups they offer here. I hear DBT can be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raime View Post
Same boat. I've had some great therapists and psychiatrists, but I've been diagnosed with at least 4 different things over the course of my life in order to find out what my deal was. I've definitely mellowed out, and I couldn't tell you what I had/have, but the general consensus between my doctors right now is that I most likely have a combination of chronic depression and anxiety.
I suppose the more important thing is finding the right meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I think I’m about as Dixie as any mf in this madhouse. Even down here there’s good folks. Kind people who at least want to help. That’s a hardcore question but if you’re at that level for God’s sake don’t hurt yourself. Reach out for help. Like for me, and I’m not equating anything but for me just changing to the community health folks and getting a new primary physician - just that fact that I can see she cares - it helps

That one right person can save your life.

That’s my take.
Well, before the quarantine I was going to the local sliding scale clinic. Is that the same sort of place you go to, or? (They are closed still; all they can do now is give medication refills by phone) They'd always just say "if you're feeling suicidal, call 911." Neither my social worker nor my psychiatrist (one doesn't always get the same psychiatrist each time at this place, but luckily I have so far) has even mentioned any sort of available therapy or support groups to me during our visits. You'd think they would mention it if it was available there. I have seen people waiting at the clinic for group therapy sessions, but they all seemed to be drug addiction related groups. One is lucky to get assigned a decent doctor at these clinics, it seems like. I like mine; she's just a little old lady but she has the energy/demeanor of a hard-boiled detective.

Last edited by goldendoodle; 05-29-2020 at 01:36 AM.
goldendoodle is offline   Reply With Quote