Music Banter - View Single Post - Modular Synthesis Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Raime
Forever Electro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I've been a bit undecided for a while about getting into Euroracks. I thought about buying something from Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers or a Dreadbox. Perhaps getting into making SynthRotek DIY kits, but I haven't bought anything yet. I'm more into semi-modular synths.
I recommend getting a Plaits by Mutable Instruments, some kind of filter, modulation source (lfo) and a a line out/mixer module. with a powered case that should cost about around 800. The case is about a third of the total cost, and once you have that you won't have to get another one for quite some time if you get new modules every now and again.

I really, really like Plaits, and yeah, you should get a vca, but if you just want to futz about, get used to making stuff that sounds good, and don't want to put money down on another module, you should be good. it has an internal VCA that does a pretty damn good job.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAI9bVjHfKI/

This is mainly Plaits with some reverb. The two voices you hear are from it, but it has different modes too (16 actually), and the manual you get tells you the little hidden features that are pretty easy to get to and understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
It all looks cool and is probably fun af but to be honest the resulting music is pretty much what you could do with a little laptop which makes some of those vids a bit comical to me. Obviously the music itself isn't made neither better nor worse because of how it is made.
You totally can make a lot of this music on computer, but I suck at using DAWs and VSTs. It's not any fun staring at a screen for me, and the workflow is better for my ADD.

Awful trash that I listen to

Awful trash that I own

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’m a full on fascist. I don’t even give a **** about making sense.

Do you have a black truck?
Raime is offline   Reply With Quote