Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #138 (permalink)
Key

Minecraft Dungeons

Minecraft Dungeons is one of those experiences that hits you in the right spots right off the bat that it's nearly impossible to not want to continue forward past the tutorial. As can be evident, I'm going to be talking about Minecraft Dungeons.

At this point, I feel like I've put rough 13-15 hours into the game, and I've experienced a lot of what the game has to offer. It's strengths, it's weaknesses. Overall however, the game gets a solid recommendation from me for a few simple reasons:

First and foremost, the game is fun. It's accessible, it's not terribly difficult (more on that later), and artistically, it's really nice to look at. For that reason alone, I'd already give it my full recommendation. This game pushes to fit in with games like Diablo and Path of Exile, and much like those games, it takes what makes a dungeon crawler fun and playable, and still makes it it's own thing. Yes, it's Minecraft. And yes, it's a dungeon crawler. But it's very much it's own thing in respect to its theme and overall style.

Secondly, missions. I really like the setup of having a base camp and being able to select missions that you want to do. In whatever order you choose to do them. The added thing that's really nice, especially for people who are used to games like Diablo, is that you can choose up to 6 different difficulties. The difficulty scales with what your power level is at that time. You can choose to grind lower difficulties to be better at the tougher ones, or you can take it slow and attempt the higher difficulties, yielding really great loot early on. I've done both tactics and both come with their advantages and disadvantages respectively. But both are solid tactics. Just whatever fits your play style.

Thirdly and potentially most importantly, the multiplayer. It works. And it works really well, for the most part. Minus a few latency issues, I've been playing with my brother on Xbox Live and I've seen little to no problems regarding connection and playing together. The game doesn't force you to be together all the time. You can split up and take on the missions as you want to, then meet up later. Or you can just do it together. Again, really up to what your play style is.

When I first heard that there was going to be a dungeon crawler style game based on Minecraft, I was skeptical. But also excited. It's very nice that I can safely say that this game exceeded my expectations. They did a really really nice job with it, and there are more updates to come. A really nice surprise and something I will be putting most of my time into for a while.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote