Music Banter - View Single Post - The Disco Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 09:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhara View Post
I'll recommend some of the great bands to look into that thrived on disco and disco funk:

Chic (and their productions for Sister Sledge, Sheila & B Devotion, Diana Ross, Norma Jean Wright.. those are all must haves).

Mass Production - definitely the funkiest disco funk band.

Slave - They were more Funk than Disco but a must. Check out their 70's through about '81 material when Steve Arrington was the main vocalist and they had Starleana & Curt who later formed Aurra. Check '80 to '83 Aurra out too it's some really nice stuff like Are You Single and Checking You Out.

Con Funk Shun 70's through '82 I recommend most.

Heatwave - Boogie Nights from '76 obviously a must and The Groove Line from '77.

Fat Larry's Band from the 70's & early 80's... definitely check out the tracks Center City and Lookin' Tonight For Love. Oh yeah and Party After Midnight love that one.

BT Express from the 70's is a good one as well to check out.

For more instrumental disco stuff you can't go wrong with Brass Construction and Crown Heights Affair. Those were two giants of that kinda music in the 70's.

Last but not least, don't forget to check out late 70's early 80's bands like One Way, Starpoint, and Narada Michael Walden. They were all great with the disco sound as well as funk and R&B.
Just listened to some of these recs. Mass Production and Slave are def some funky goodness. Gonna listen to the rest later. Thanks!
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote