Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #6358 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
No worries. I try to give it a few days myself so the 8 people that post here can generate something to respond to. What policies would you like to see that they don't hold over than a $15 minimum wage (which you mention below)?
single payer and tuition free college were the two big ones from the Sanders campaign.

Quote:
I see your point, but I don't fully accept the premise. Bernie demonstrated that he only got about 35% of primary voters IIRC and that his people don't show up.

Biden asking Bernie supporters to vote for him doesn't strike me as a double-standard. I'll just leave it here for now to save you a rant. I guess I'm asking what I'm missing.
I don't see how the first part is relevant since I was talking about the assumption that Bernie might not win over moderates in the general and thus can't beat Trump, not how well he actually did in the primaries.

It's certainly possibly true that Bernie might not have won those voters over. The double standard is in the way many people rhetorically framed it as traitorous the left to not support Biden (in the general) yet that only seems to work one way.

When moderates don't feel comfortable voting for someone like Bernie that's an indication that he's too alienating. When more hard-line types are not willing to get behind Biden then it's suddenly the voters who are being unreasonable.

Quote:
In 1993 she was charged by her husband to oversee Healthcare reform to get (as I recall) something like Single-Payer. It's why my mother has wanted to vote for Clinton since 1993. Sadly she died in 2015 and I had to carry the torch for her. Not really a point to this little side note other than to say Clinton means slightly more to me than she might otherwise.
If she was advocating for single payer in the 90's then she has since changed her mind, because she campaigned on a more moderate healthcare policy in 2016.

If it weren't for Sanders I don't believe there would've even been any serious discussion of adopting single payer in 2020, and if Hillary was the incumbent that would almost certainly not happen. That's what I meant by the way the conversation has shifted.

Quote:
I don't know how he'd manage to do more harm than trump who used mounted police yesterday to clear protestors so he could get an Instagram post with a bible, but what's the drive for a $15 min wage? Of all the policies I feel like that's a lop-sided one. It's going to be way too little in NYC and job-cutting in some of the right-to-work state. I thought it was wise to campaign on it and then in office take the deal to get some reform. But if they put in a $15 flat minimum I think that's going to have more damaging effects than positive ones.
I assumed it was a matter of changing the federal minimum wage, which is currently 7.25. I live in a state where that is also the state minimum wage, but other states like NY have a higher state minimum wage so you can't pay people 7.25 there. The same would hold true if it were 15 instead. The state can set a higher minimum wage based on their specific cost of living requirements if 15 isn't sufficient, but every state would have to pay at least 15.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote