Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #145 (permalink)
Key

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

This is one of those games that I don't mind talking to death about, because it's so damn good.

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer was just re-released onto the newer consoles. My experience is solely from the PS4 version. I know nothing about the Switch port or the PC port for that matter. It's not a remaster either. And I honestly don't mind that. I find that the game truly shows it's beauty with the older style graphics of the N64. Sure they don't look super fantastic, but they also don't look half bad. The game runs at a smooth 60fps with literally no lag. Which is important given this game is fast, and it's podracing. It has to run smooth. And it most certainly does. I guess one shouldn't be too surprised by that given that it is a 17 year old game. So of course it should run well on newer consoles. I'm just saying it's nice to see, and it's nice that it fills the entirety of my TV.

What I'm finding myself enjoying more than anything though is just the overall nostalgia I'm feeling as I'm going from track to track. It's also pretty bizarre that in some cases, I've been able to remember the tracks so as to not crash or do anything stupid. Again, I probably haven't played this game in quite a long time, so to be able to relive it again, and to remember stuff, is pretty cool.

All the tracks feel super unique as well. This wasn't something I particularly focused much on when I was a kid, but the tracks do vary quite a bit. It's also really cool that certain tracks change how they look based on which part of the tournament you're doing. For example, there are two different version of the Tatooine track. Of course, what makes the tracks really shine is the music. It's just your standard Star Wars music, but it works extraordinarily well in a racing game.

I'm certainly thrilled that not only do those of us that played this game back then get to relive it again in all it's glory, but people get to pick up one of the best racing games ever made. It just helps that it's Star Wars, and podracing.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote