Music Banter - View Single Post - Architecture
Thread: Architecture
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #352 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Yes, that's a good piece of design; it doesn't look that complicated, but still leaves you wondering about the geometry of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I did develop an automated revision update program using LISP and attributed titleblocks for ComEd back in 2002 though. It's a bit outdated but can still be ported to use on other platforms for various needs like I use here at my work currently. I did quite a bit of programming for automated drafting standards back then but we had 30-40 drafters plugging away at substation reworks and needed to keep everyone on the same page. I even set up an in-house intranet for new tools and instructions on how to use them. I was developing a Drawing Tracker software package and rev history as well as user login, plotting/paper use, and time spent on each drawing were tracked and logged.
Well, that's very impressive, Plankton! I'm not entirely sorry that I exited the profession just as CAD was coming in. About the only pre-CAD innovation I saw first hand was a program where you could put up a plan on the computer screen and click with a cursor at each of the corner points. You closed the shape by going back to your starting point and the computer would tell you what the enclosed area was. That was a big deal because in London, perhaps more so than elsewhere, office developments were all about Net Lettable Area. (= what floorspace you have left after deducting stairwells, toilets etc.)
__________________________________________________ __________

I'm not usually a fan of the bigname celeb architects, but Bjarke Ingels has some good designs in his portfolio, including the Lego HQ building that was mentioned here months back. These designs look attractive but are hugely impractical: The first, I'm guessing has beeen built, but the other is surely just a fantasy project:-