Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #6706 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
I believe the term for this is 'overton window'.
It isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Good point. I agree it's a tricky issue and not at all easy to delineate what is just criticism and what is cancelling. But I think there is a point where the end result of cancellation, deplatforming, and even some forms of disruptive protest is that the "problematic" voice is removed rather than just new dissenting voices being added.

You can argue whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. There's definitely some argument to be made that a certain level of ideological conformity is preferable to pure free speech, but this is basically the central question at hand.

I truly doubt Chomsky & co are under the impression that cancel culture is state censorship. I was simply pointing out there it's a broader discussion beyond just what does the constitution prohibit.
I suspect this all started to get born from the Aziz Ansari thing. I don't know that anyone thinks going after bigots is bad. But the cancellation of someone - at least on Twitter - seems to be more appealing that true justice. I don't know if this is what they mean, but the movement starts to drift, and so one day you're saying "Hey we need police reform, and there's a systemic problem in the criminal justice system" and the next you're posting a black square on Instgagram and mandating that Real Estate Agents stop calling it the "Master Bedroom."
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote