Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #6759 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I think in the case of, for example, alt right YouTube figures, it's pretty justified, even if the reason they do it is about $$$(like any corporate decision)

But in the case of cancellations hardly ever does it even have any long term negative effects
Like I said in one of my original posts this is simply a question of priorities. You might (and seemingly do) prioritize minimizing certain ideas over allowing open discussion. A lot of people do. I'm honestly somewhat undecided about that question. Obviously I can see the concern with a Nazi with large following, but there is a side of me that is turned off at the idea that the solution to this is just to place certain ideas out of bounds. That's the preferred method of every authoritarian structure, so there's no doubt it works to some degree, I just don't particularly like the way it works. Maybe Nazis or ISIS devotees are never deconverted by debate but I still find those debates interesting.

Also what are the long term negative affects of making a book about denying the Holocaust illegal? I know Americans are obsessed with the 1st amendment as the only definition of free speech but there are other countries with different rules who have the same basic goals you have. I don't think that line is nearly as cut and dry as it seems.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote