Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #6890 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Oh I definitely finished it. I liked it just not 100% balls to the wall. I probably needed to concentrate on it more than I did to get as much as you did out of it.
It's funny actually. The first time I read it in middle school I was someone who today would be totally at risk of becoming a gamergate MAGA fascist. I totally dug it as a schematic for building a better society and I was all about giving the vote only to veterans cause it sounded cool. Then after high school when I dropped that **** and having mostly the movie in my mind I decided that I'd misread the book and was a fool to mistake what the book was actually trying to say.

Then I reread the book recently and realized I'd read it kinda right the first time. It was expressing more nuanced ideas than I was capable of understanding back in the day but ultimately was still praising the experience of military service even if it wasn't explicitly praising fascism. And honestly I still haven't quite wrapped my head around exactly what it's saying cause I suspect that Heinlein is a weird ****ing guy who has anti-authoritarian ideas but still values his experience in the military and is possibly too wild in the head to parse it all himself.

I will say that it's potentially as dangerous a book as Atlas Shrugged though. If I ever have a kid I won't be comfortable with them reading it without talking to them about their ideas about it.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote