Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 AM   #6916 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Who cares how I define dictatorship? It’s capitalism. The greatest evil the world has ever known.
So wait, communist dictatorships killed 100 million mostly poor people and capitalism is the greatest evil the world has ever known?

Quote:
What I don’t care about is your obsession with the historical specificity of language.
I don't think he's asking you about the historical specificity of language, he's asking what you believe a dictatorship to be and whether or not the election of Biden would change that.

If people can't agree on definitions of terms, or at least understand the definitions that others are using, then communication and debate about this sort of stuff (or anything really) is useless.

e.g.

A: I'd like a baker's dozen please.
B: Uh, okay, how many is that to you, 13?
A: Who cares what my definition is?
B: Well, I do - it might help us communicate here.
A: Why are you so obsessed with the historical specificity of language?

Quote:
If that means abolishing money completely then yes. That’s the only future where there is a future.
Are you proposing a return to a barter economy? I don't think that's really going to help increase the standard of living for poor people. And I don't think that's going to make international trade very easy either.

Last edited by SGR; 07-22-2020 at 06:48 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote