Music Banter - View Single Post - Coronavirus: COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #2584 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That ain't a bad one, but I think I'd rather find a similar quote from Sagan, the real mac daddy of pop science.

Or maybe this Pliny the Elder quote

"Here there is a mighty battle between learning one side and the common herd on the other: the theory being that human beings are distributed all round the earth and stand with their feet pointing towards each other, and that the top of the sky is alike for them all and the earth trodden under foot at the centre in the same way from any direction, while ordinary people enquire why the persons on the opposite side don't fall off–just as if it were not reasonable that the people on the other side wonder that we do not fall off."
That's a great quote, from so long ago too. I hope for the sake of the Greeks that there's no life after death, as they'd be tearing their hair out to see the state of the world today, like "We set it all up for you two and a half thousand years ago; democracy, scientific rationalism and geometry. How could you have screwed it up so badly!?"

(thanks for the PM, OH)