Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #7231 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Good post

Also concerning lip service to the dire importance of schools from Bill Gates to the CDC - since it’s suddenly so ****ing important- is there going to ever be any effort to tackle how goddamn dysfunctional so many schools are and very frankly schools populated with black students?

Classrooms that are constantly noisy, chaotic, mean-spirited, rife with bullying (oh but you gotta look at both sides), and even real fists on faces violent - are NOT promoting healthy child development.

There may be exceptions but in general schools in poor black communities haven’t been properly educating students probably since integration. They’ve never allowed for there to be anything but a white suburban education model forced on urban black youth who respond by decimating it.

If black people were allowed to govern their own schools grandmothers would patrolling the halls and classes and the students would be shutting the **** up and learning to read and do math.

Bill Gates and Hillary Clinton are classic examples of people with big opinions who don’t have a ****ing clue what’s going on in the trenches.

Suddenly school is so important. Then why wasn’t it important to correct the problem that about half the kids never learned ****?
Didn't Bill Gates spend a ****load of money trying to come up with a fix for public schools that turned out to be a wash? I remember hearing something like that.

Truth is I'm not sure anyone really knows what to do. One problem I can think of is that they're funded by property taxes which naturally favors wealthier neighborhoods.

I went to a ****ty, overpopulated violent school in a primarily Haitian/Hispanic neighborhood. They tried to fix it by putting in magnet programs like nursing, JROTC and criminal justice. Ironically, not enough people from the actual neighborhood wanted to sign up for these programs. So they ended up busing kids in from all over the county to take advantage of the programs, including a lot of white suburban kids.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote