Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #7248 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
And clearly your from there so you know more than me... You:re telling me all the Irish people moved out of southie etc? That's news to me.
I mean, the people who threw rocks at buses moved out of Southie. The Yuppies moved in from the Midwest. Just to show you the yuppie townie divide, I was walking down Broadway one day and my friends Seamus (I'm not kidding) points and goes:

"There it is, that's the first Starbucks in South Boston"

I mutter "Wow, I guess the revolution's finally arrived"

And this drunk townie (it's 2 in the afternoon on a satuday) turns around, gets in my face and goes "Yeah, has? Has it YARMOUTH?!"

I just laughed because it seemed like a gross overreaction. But yeah, for the most part the Whitey Bulger crowd left town. Which is why, and this is a minor thing admittedly, I generally think Boston gets more of a bad rep than it deserves. When you see stories about someone screaming racial slurs from the cheap seats in Fenway, I would put money on them having been a White Flighter. Or when you see things like the "Straight Pride Parade" that we had - those aren't city folks. They're suburban trash come in from the white enclaves that Occult Hawk and I were discussing.

Now, is that a difference without a distinction? I'm sure the DSA crowd will say so. But I like the nuance of politics, so I mention it.