Music Banter - View Single Post - Coronavirus: COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #2716 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
looking at the planet like it's a building with a maximum occupancy is a bit daft

as it is now, I'd just expect that 1 million people to tear down exponentially more trees per person so they can make more PlayStations and ****

you have consider our consumption and the unsustainable way we go about producing
Yeah I'm not a Malthusian and obviously capitalism is the biggest boogieman, but again, if the world had a population of 7 million rather than 7 billion much of capitalism's effects on the natural world wouldn't be nearly the issues they are. The current population of the world is clearly capable of bringing immense devastation on the planet with our consumption and unless you have a plan to stop that tomorrow then overpopulation is in fact a problem. Whether or not restructuring our management of population and resources would solve that problem cold is academic unless there's a realistic solution. I'm sure the next species to go extinct won't much care about why it's going to die today or tomorrow and would be totally happy if the human population were reduced.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote