Music Banter - View Single Post - from freak fighter to lamp lighter
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #1110 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I spent almost all my disposable income on records and CDs until the internet made it possible for me to listen to what I want for free or a nominal fee. I’m never going to buy another record again. I actually remember record store cashiers looking at me with a sort of pity like for a heroin junkie. The loss of consumers like me brought down Tower Records and all the chains. In my mind it’s like you’re selling ice to Eskimos. How different do you think your typical customer is compared to my day? How do think not having people like me around has changed record store culture?
I have two types of customers...

- People who have always collected records and will never stop. Key word is collecting. Like baseball cards or comics. I fall into this category.

- People who are caught up in the fad or reliving old days. This includes kids who think it's cool to be into vintage stuff and older people who got rid of their old collection and want to start over again.

The only thing that has changed is you no longer have to buy a physical copy of something to hear it. You can listen on the internet for free for mostly anything. However, the idea of records being a collectible item and not just a way to ingest new music is the new norm.

My desire to find a first pressing of Coltrane's Blue Train is the same desire that as somebody looking for the first issue of Superman.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote