Music Banter - View Single Post - What Jazz album are you listening to?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #495 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
I agree. There was a guy who used to be here (nameless, because he’s not here to defend himself) who generally had an interest in a good variety of music who thought that the opening to Sometime Ago was a total waste of vinyl (the same for the Illusion section during Crimson‘s Moonchild). Actually, the pacing of that medley is beautifully done - a lot like the earlier albums from that time like ”Now He Sings...“, “...Joan’s Bones” and those improv albums he did back then. It still holds up incredibly well even today.

After enjoying that album for about 6 months or so, I went on a summer trip to study with Gary Burton in 1973. When I got home, I found my copy of that album on the floor of my bedroom with the bottom left hand corner of the cover in shreds (with teeth marks!). It turned out that this small, annoying poodle that we had decided to chew it up for some reason. Luckily the vinyl was spared. I still have that copy.
My last dog loved to chomp on books and CD cases, but he never went for my vinyl for whatever reason.

I dunno why some people get turned off by improvisation. That's part of the charm, especially on anything Corea is involved in.

While I slightly prefer Light As A Feather over RTF's self-titled, I think they're pretty much unassailable up to and including Romantic Warrior.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote