Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #7679 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
... Cause who the **** cares? We have real **** to worry about right now.

Maybe I'm missing something... Was there any lack of peace between Israel and the UAE?
Like I said, most Americans don't give a hoot about foreign policy, but I don't view the agreement as insignificant. I am also not saying that we don't have more pressing issues at home that we should be paying attention to.

As far as I understand it, until this deal, the UAE didn't even formally recognize Israel as a state and they had no public diplomatic or economic relations. They wouldn't allow Israeli citizens or passport holders entry into the UAE. I believe a lot of it was due to the UAE's pro Palestine position. There was an assassination of a UAE official in 2010 that led the UAE to call for an arrest of the director of Mossad via Interpol - I don't know if their suspicions that Israel was involved were ever substantiated, but there was definitely motive for Israel to take him out considering that he was wanted by Israel for the murder of two Israeli soldiers.

I think the pandemic and US sanctions have weakened Iran considerably and that we will see a few changes in the Middle East as countries sense their weakness and become less fearful of pissing them off. Both the UAE and Israel oppose Iran strengthening their position and influence in the Middle East. An enemy of my enemy...
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote