Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #7833 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
there is a long history of reform vs. revolution debate

I don't think it has much to do with this discussion unless you're taking an accelerationist position and thus admitting Trump's reelection will make people's lives considerably worse

Richard Wolfe argues that it's through watching the bourgeois walk back reforms time and time again, that the left becomes prepared for revolution, the struggle for reform builds the infrastructure necessary for revolution according to people who take that position
That's the position I was taking/talking about, yes. I've said before the accelerationist approach is the only one where reelecting Trump makes any sense. I'm not saying that's what I believe but that was what I was referring to.

Richard Wolff can say what he likes and he's a talented propagandist but so far that's not the lesson history teaches.

Marx was writing excitedly about revolution on the backs of the industrial prole masses in 1848 as an impending future. We're now in 2020 and not only are we sufficiently industrialized... We're several decades into post industrialization when Marx's portrait of commerce becomes more antiquated by the hour.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote